ur country and the population at large are enjoying the fruits of strong, effective and appropriate economic, social and environmental policies. Economic growth is resilient, the unemployment rate is falling, inflation is under control, poverty is declining, income inequality is being reduced and the country’s infrastructure is being modernised.
2. These achievements have been possible due to the cooperation and dedication of the population and all stakeholders.
3. This year again, we believe that the national budget must not only reflect the development goals of Government but also and most importantly, the aspirations and priorities of the citizens of the Republic of Mauritius.
4. The Ministry of Finance and Economic Development is, therefore, inviting people from all walks of life, Business and Trade Associations, Professional Bodies, Trade Unions, NGOs, Civil Society Organisations and other stakeholders to contribute their ideas and suggestions in the context of the preparation of the forthcoming Budget.
5. The priorities of the 2019/2020 Budget are, inter alia, about:-
(i) expanding and modernising our infrastructure;
(ii) dealing with the challenges facing the sugar and manufacturing sectors, including textiles;
(iii) investing in new pillars of growth, in particular, AI technologies;
(iv) encouraging a new culture of entrepreneurship;
(v) further opening up and integrating our economy with the rest of the world;
(vi) investing in the education, training and other skills needed by our youth, so that they are better prepared for the future;
(vii) addressing the impact of demographic change;
(viii) promoting gender equality – “Think equal, build smart and innovate for change”;
(ix) promoting a more inclusive and equitable society and further addressing the problem of poverty; and
(x) building greater resilience to the impact of climate change.
6. Submissions and proposals may be made by 15 April 2019:
i) through the post to the Financial Secretary, Budget 2019/2020 Proposals, Government House, Port Louis; or
ii) by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org