The Mauritius Meteorological Services in its fourth cyclone bulletin at 19h10 today Saturday 13 Jan 2018, has issued a cyclone warning class III for Rodrigues as moderate tropical storm ‘Berguitta’ continues to intensify and will pass 130 km to the North North West of Rodrigues on Sunday at around 04h00.
There will be passing showers, thunderstorms, gusts of up to 120 km/h and the sea will be very rough.
The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Centre (NDRRMC) is monitoring the situation closely with the Office of the Chief Commissioner of Rodrigues, Rodrigues Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Centre and the Chief of Police Rodrigues. The general public in Rodrigues, is advised to take the following precautions: –
– Keep a provision of stored foods, drinking water, candles, batteries, and make sure that your emergency equipment are in working state (portable transistor, essential tools, etc);
– Remain indoors as showers will be moderate at times and ensure that electrical appliances are switched off and disconnected from main supply as there will be thunderstorms;
– Listen attentively to the advice of the authorities on the radio;
– Fishing Community and public not to venture at sea;
– Road users are to be cautious due to fog and poor visibility, water accumulations, slippery road conditions and crosswinds;
– Do not venture near water courses such as canals, rivers, radiers and flooded areas;
The population of Rodrigues is advised to follow the guidance given by the concerned authorities.