Les membres du cabinet ministériel du gouvernement de Pravind Jugnauth ont pris note que le ministère de l’Agro-Industrie a elaboré le National Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan 2017-2025. les arrangements pour la mise sur pied du National Employment Agency, de l’introduction prochaine au Parlement de l’ Outer Islands Development Corporation (Amendment) Bill entre autres.
1. Cabinet has taken note that, in line with the Convention on Biological Diversity, the Ministry of Agro-Industry and Food Security has elaborated:
(a) the National Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan 2017-2025 that presents a global overview on the status of biodiversity and sets out the goals and objectives to achieve in terms of biodiversity and conservation; and
(b) the Protected Area Network Expansion Strategy 2017-2026 that lays down the programmes to protect, conserve and restore native biodiversity, natural landscapes and ecosystem services to benefit present and future generations.
The documents would be launched on the occasion of the International Day for Biological Diversity 2017, commemorated on 22 May. To mark the Day, the Ministry of Agro-Industry and Food Security would also organize an awareness week at the Black River Gorges National Park, and plant trees in the field gene bank of the Black River Gorges National Park. The theme of the International Day for Biological Diversity is “Biodiversity and Sustainable Tourism”.
2. Cabinet has taken note of arrangements being made to set up an umbrella National Employment Agency as enunciated in Government Programme 2015-2019 and Budget Speech 2016-2017. The new Agency would, inter alia, define and implement Government policy on employment promotion, and pioneer the introduction of a National Employment System, an IT-enabled system, that would provide live and reliable analytical information on the labour market situation at the national level.
3. Cabinet has agreed to the introduction of the Outer Islands Development Corporation (Amendment) Bill into the National Assembly. The object of the Bill is to amend the Outer Islands Development Corporation Act to provide for a representative of the Ministry responsible for the subject of Outer Islands to be member of the Outer Islands Development Board.
4. Cabinet has agreed to the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) Roundtable of Ministers responsible for Culture in the East Africa Region being held in Mauritius in July 2017. The objectives of the Roundtable are, inter alia, to:
(a) strengthen synergies for the protection of cultural heritage and the fight against illicit trafficking of cultural property;
(b) provide an opportunity for Ministers to share experiences, innovative practices and policies for the protection of cultural heritage;
(c) increase capacities and strengthen joint actions for the protection of cultural heritage in the region; and
(d) propose a new framework in the form of a Declaration, which will provide a roadmap and priorities for safeguarding cultural heritage over the next four years.
5. Cabinet has taken note that the Global Learning and Observations to Benefit the Environment (GLOBE) Implementation Office and the GLOBE Africa Coordinating Office would hold their Annual Country Coordinators Meeting and a Workshop on Strategic Planning in Mauritius from 23 to 26 May 2017. The GLOBE Programme, an international science and education programme, aims at:
(a) improving science education;
(b) increasing scientific understanding of the Earth as a system; and
(c) enhancing the environmental awareness of individuals worldwide.
6. Cabinet has taken note of the activities that would be organised in the context of the World Oceans Day, commemorated on 8 June, namely:
(a) guided visits at the Blue Bay Marine Park Centre;
(b) a Regatta at Mahebourg; and
(c) the inauguration of the new building of the Mauritius Oceanography Institute at Albion.
The theme for this year is “Our Oceans, Our Future ».
7. Cabinet has taken note of the outcome of the recent mission of the Minister of Social Security, National Solidarity, and Environment and Sustainable Development to Geneva where he participated in the 20th Session of the United Nations Commission on Science and Technology for Development. The Commission provides the UN General Assembly and the UN Economic and Social Council with advice on relevant issues to enable those bodies to guide the future work of the UN, develop common policies, and agree on appropriate action. The Commission explored the theme « Eradicating poverty and promoting prosperity in a changing world ».
8. Cabinet has taken note of the outcome of the recent mission of the Minister of Agro-Industry and Food Security to Turkey where he attended the Turkey-Africa First Agriculture Ministers’ Meeting and Agri-Business Forum. The objectives of the Meeting and Forum were to share experience in the fields of agriculture and livestock farming, further strengthen current state of cooperation, and promote trade relations. The theme of the Meeting was “Turkey-Africa Partnership on Rural Development for Achieving Food Security.”
9. Cabinet has taken note of the outcome of the recent mission of the Minister of Ocean Economy, Marine Resources, Fisheries and Shipping to Indonesia where he participated in the Second IORA Ministerial Blue Economy Conference “Financing Blue Economy”. The Conference adopted the Jakarta Declaration on Blue Economy that lays down the guideline in developing and implementing blue economy approaches to support sustainable development and socio-economic benefits for coastal communication in the Indian Ocean Region.
10. Cabinet has taken note that, under the provision of the MBC Act, the Prime Minister has appointed Mr Beejhaye Ramdenee as Chairperson of the MBC, and
Mr Mekraj Baldowa as Director General.
11. Cabinet has taken note of the reconstitution of:
(a) the Board of the Tourism Authority with Mr Gabriel Pierre Yves Rochecouste as Chairperson; and
(b) the Board of Trustees of the Trust Fund for Specialised Medical Care with Mr Shafik Hoossen Abdulla Syed Cassim Jeehan as Chairperson.