web analytics

Energy and Water Statistics for Year 2023

In 2023, the total primary energy requirement (sum of imported and locally available fuels less re-exports and bunkering after adjusting for stock changes) was 1,537,622 tonnes of oil equivalent (toe), up by 3.5% from 1,484,976 toe in 2022.

In 2023, electricity generation increased by 4.7% from 3,119.2 GWh (268,205 toe) in 2022 to 3,265.5 GWh (280,780 toe), of which 82.4% (2,691.0 GWh) was generated from non-renewable sources and 17.6% (574.4 GWh) from renewable sources.

The Independent Power Producers produced 47.9% of the total electricity generated and the Central Electricity Board produced the remaining 52.1%.

The mean amount of rainfall recorded in the Island of Mauritius increased by 15.5% from 2,201 millimetres in 2022 to 2,543 millimetres in 2023. During the same period, the total volume of potable water treated by the different treatment plants went down by 2.0% from 319.5 million cubic metres to 313.2 million cubic metres.

Verified by MonsterInsights